The Brandenburg Gate is one of the most important monuments in today’s Berlin with over two hundred years of history.
Throughout its existence, it has been often a site for major historical events. Currently, this 18th-century neoclassical monument is considered as a symbol of turbulent German history as well as European unity and peace.
The building is located in the western part of the city and it faces Pariser Platz, regarded as one of the city’s most attractive squares.
It is the entry to Unter den Linden, the renowned boulevard of linden trees, which led directly to the royal City Palace.
It was designed by the German artist Carl Gotthard Langhans and was built from 1788 to 1791.
It was damaged in 1945 during II World War and reconstructed from 1956 to 1957.
This 26-meters high monument was inspired by the Propylaea in Athens’ Acropolis and is crowned with a 5-meter copper sculpture of Victoria-the Goddess of Victory.
The Brandenburg Gate never closes, it is part of memorable events and is a magnet for locals and tourists every day.
Students’ Union German Volunteer
Project co-financed by ERASMUS+.